Next meeting. We will hold our next meeting at 12:30 on Wednesday, September 5, tentatively at Fourth Reformed.
Present: Al, Fonda, June, Kris, Lou, Mary Ann, Ron, Stephanie, Mary D., and Mary J.
Approval of minutes. We approved the Aug 1 minutes with no changes.
Setting of agenda. We approved the agenda as prepared by Mary J.
Holland Hunger video. Mary J. reported that the High School student who was going to help us make a short video about local hunger is no longer available. Now we do not even have a video recorder, though Ron pointed out the various electronic devices are now capable of recording video. Mary talked to two people recommended by Fourth Reform for interviews and left voicemail with a third. The two she talked to expressed interest “in principle,” but did not agree to an interview. After some discussion, we agreed that perhaps interviews without video would be less intimidating and hence more feasible. This is a potential project for the future.
Survey of community partners. We are starting to get some responses to our questions about how federal funding affects local agencies, and team members reported that more should be coming.
David’s visit. We noted that we don’t know much about David Beckmann’s need for accommodations and so forth during his visit to Holland. Mary J. agreed to ask Mike Troutman about this. Mary D. said she has already invited Jon Gromek to stay at her place. Update: Most hosting details are being taken care of by others, but we may be needed for rides to/from GR.
BECKMANN PUBLIC EVENT
Budget. Stephanie reported that Hope Campus Ministries has agreed to be billed for the refreshments at the Beckmann event, with the understanding that we will reimburse the department. This saves us an 18% surcharge and 6% sales tax on the refreshments! We also expressed thanks that Kris arranged for us to receive a grant from CRWRC for $250, which covers nearly the entire refreshment bill. Update: Our catering bill is coming in at less than $200, since they are not charging us $1.00 per cup of coffee after all! We will probably incur a bit more expense for extra printing, though.
Fliers with inserts. Mary Lou agreed to stuff our Holland Bread Team “bookmark” into Bread fliers to be distributed at the Beckmann event.
Nametags for members of Holland Bread Team. We agreed members of the HBT should have name tags so that we are easily identified. Fonda will load us plastic sleeves for the tags and help Mary J. figure out the size of the tags. Mary will then ask her son Dominic to create tags with the HBT logo on them.
Carol’s banner with 8% statistic. Mary J. agreed to ask Carol Myers if her banner could be available for the public event. Mary J. also agreed to ask Mike Troutman if the banner shown on page 10 of the 2012 OL booklet might be available too. Update: Carol’s banner is available, Mike will also supply a suitable banner.
Instructions on how to reach members of Congress. Mary J. suggested that we supply to attendees a half sheet of paper indicating how to contact members of Congress. Attendees should be fired up by the end of the event, and we want to avoid any obstacles to follow-up contacts to members of Congress. Mary J. agreed to create the sheet, and Fonda provided a very appropriate scripture quote, Deut. 15:11, for it.
Event roles. We agreed to defer to our next meeting most of our discussion of who does what at the event. However, we agreed on the following. (1) We should arrive for the event around 6:15. (2) Either Nancy or Carol Myers would be appropriate to speak for the HBT (welcoming folks and so on). (3) Choices for a local leader to speak briefly before David speaks are, in order of preference:
1. Kate Kooyman (Stepanie will ask)
2. Denise Kingdomgrier of Maple Avenue Ministries (Fonda will ask; will also ask to do benediction)
3. Darryl Bartlett of the Holland Rescue Mission ((Lou will ask)
4. Mark Tucker of CAH (Al will ask)
Other possibilities include Pat Moran of United Way and Brian Davis of Holland Public Schools.
Sentinel. Mary has sent a draft press release to Dave to send to Lori Timmer at the Sentinel.
Radio. Al will submit a brief announcement to WHTC.
Postcards to area Bread members. Ron will mail postcards to the area Bread members for which we have no email addresses. Mary J. will supply Ron with the address labels.
Poster printing and distribution. Our last 16 copies of our old poster (without sponsors listed) were given to team members for distribution. Update: Fonda will have additional posters printed and available at our next meeting.
E-mail reminders. Mary J. will work with Dominic on this. Dominic has all or most of it set up already. We should get a sample bulletin notice out to the churches soon. Lou volunteered to send the bulletin notice to someone at Holland Christian, who can further disseminate it to many area churches.
Additional community partners. Mary J. agreed to deliver a publicity packages to Western Seminary and Feeding America, which we previously overlooked. She will also offer FA a table at the event. Mary D. will contact the Ottawa County Food Policy Council to learn more about the new group and invite them to the Beckmann event.
Phone reminders. Deferred to next meeting.
Personal appeals. Deferred to next meeting.
Political-candidate survey. Stephanie will give her draft book to Dave soon.
Bread on campus. Deferred to next meeting.